After a long time I finally spend another day in the studio. Naturally I spent a lot of time figuring out what are the loose ends that I want to pick up next. A lot of projects are left half finished with the intention to just do this or that to have them finally done. I looked through these still “open files”, closed some because I lost interest in them, and then started fresh. While rummaging in my studio I found some dried up leaves that were still left over from my eco-printing session last autumn. While I couldn’t find time in my studio I had an interesting discussion with Judith Hoffman (see discussion here and her homepage here) about leaf prints, and so couldn’t resist playing around with them once more.
It has been almost 3 years now that I bought some drypoint etching equipment and only unsuccessfully tried some once. Since then I did some reading and feel confident enough for a second go now. I hope I’ll be able to get some nice prints from this plate, showing a fish I drew while in hospital (a did a fair amount of them back then)
When I had finished the plate it was already getting kind of late, and so I didn’t want to start printing (and risk toxic paint on the hands of the little ones). Therefore I decided to prepare for some more printing on the upcoming weekend:
These are not the sketches from which I will print, some more work will have to be done here. The general plan is to do a reduction print with two printing blocks. These first sketches are based on a photo by Andrew Holzschuh who thankfully released it under a creative common license – thank you!
Now I just hope that the weekend goes as planned and I indeed get some time for printing, doing some more sketching and cutting lino.